View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 10:44 PM

Default Re: How hard is placekicking?

I kicked and punted in high school. it's really not about pure strength as much as it's about perfect technique, flexibility, and speed through the ball.

in my time punting, I got off only a few perfect punts, which was a perfect spiral + lots of force. It went probably 70 yards in the air. if you get a perfect spiral, you don't even need to kick the ball hard. I could hit the ball 35-40 yards with a 50% swing a lot of the time. but, this is in practice, with lots of time.

placekicking is largely about hitting the ball right. look at soccer players. they rarely look like weighlifters, they can just kick through the ball with great speed and at the right spot. I do think there are literally hundreds and hundreds of players in pro European soccer who could be (easily) trained to be NFL kickers or punters. but these are all incredible athletes who happen to have the right body/skills.

like w/ punting, placekicking is a whole lot easier in practice when you are not as rushed, less pressure, etc.

(for perspective for the OP, I did play soccer growing up, and always had the strongest or 2nd strongest leg on the team. I quit in 8th grade to play football)