View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Can Christians Accept A Ressurection Within The Laws of Physics?

[ QUOTE ]
"My Kingdom is not of this World" describes The Faith. The Faith is what we come to Believe In, rather than a reason for why we come to believe. The miracle is that we do come to believe. That is a Spiritual Miracle. It requires no magic tricks with the laws of nature.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right to emphasise the relative importance over spiritual truth over literal truth. But that doesn't mean those things aren't important.

I think you are being very liberal with your interpretation of this quotation. Firstly we can debate your interpretation of the word 'kingdom'. I agree it can be wideranging, but in the statement you keep quoting it's not. Pilate is asking Jesus why his own people have asked for him to be killed.

' Jesus answered, "My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world." ' (John 18 )

That sounds like more a 'I'm not here to be a King of the Jews type figure' than 'Don't worry about literal truth, just feel the spiritual truth'.

I can see where you're coming from though, because then Jesus broadens out his point.

' Then Pilate said to him, "So you are a king?" Jesus answered, "You say that I am a king. For this purpose I was born and for this purpose I have come into the world--to bear witness to the truth. Everyone who is of the truth listens to my voice." Pilate said to him, "What is truth?" ' (John 18 )

So Jesus is saying he's most concerned with truth. Is he talking about objective truth, or subjective truth? I think when Jesus says he bears witness, like the apostles later, he's inferring that the truth that he bears witness to can be born witness to.

Additionally, Pilate's question, 'what is truth?' is left hanging. I suggest the author leaves the reader to answer that for themselves by reading the rest of the account of Jesus' death and resurrection.

Secondly, we see elsewhere that Jesus is concerned with the spiritual and literal implications of his resurrection: Thomas declares that he will not believe that Jesus is has been resurrected unless he can see Jesus in person and feel his wounds.

' Eight days later, his disciples were inside again, and Thomas was with them. Although the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said, “Peace be with you.” Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and see my hands; and put out your hand, and place it in my side. Do not disbelieve, but believe.” Thomas answered him, “My Lord and my God!” Jesus said to him, “Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” ' ( John 20)

Jesus is concerned that Thomas believes in a literal resurrection. And it seems that the author is also concerned to give us the evidence for Jesus' resurrection. In fact, he says as much his next sentance:

' Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.' ( John 20)