View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 AM

Default Re: My Final Word On Religion For A While

Since death, the state of ‘being dead’, is both an unknown and the unknowable, it’s generally not worth thinking about.

We can be sure, however, whatever it is, it’s going to be radically different from this other state, the state of being alive. Being alive, therefore, is a poor information base for making decisions about what could be, well, a pretty long time.

Yet people routinely make decisions about what being dead is going to be like while they’re still alive. So they subscribe to this god or that, this or that religion, brand of diet lemonade, whatever, as a sort of insurance.

It seems to me a much more logical and preferable course is to postpone all such decisions until I’m, well, dead. I mean, this could be a major decision.

You want to have a look around the place, maybe get a guest stay here and there, check a few things out. Maybe you could get a bidding war going among the local landlords, landladies, landthings. You might bargain on the number of virgins, number of orgasms, that sort of thing.

Or you might want to devote your death to barbequing meat (seemed to work out alright back when I was alive).

No – much safer to leave those decisions ’til then.