View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Which poker variation is most exploitable by pure math strategy?

I am thinking of full-ring games in general, nothing heads-up because I imagine that most of us don't play primarily heads-up games anyhow.

And yeah, I think that it would be computationally difficult to do outright, if not impossible. This is why I said something like "derived or approximated". It would be large otherwise I admit, but some Monte Carlo simulation would surely be able to arrive at some reasonable approximation of the best strategy for even multiplayer scenarios. Mostly I envision in this scenario dealing out the hands, then culling the non-legal hands from the combinations available, and then playing them against a statistically significant number of psuedo-random hand arrangements for opponents to yield some form of payoff-matrix, and then derive EV relations for the possible combinations your opponents could play against your arrangements. Still pretty far off from a total solution, but it could yield some reasonable information that is at least somewhat rigorous.

Also, I can envision combinations of hands that have approximately the same EV that would serve the purposes of mixing ones strategy here as well while still retaining optimal strategy (ex. playing strong in front and back but weak in middle vs strong front and middle with a weak back hand). So I suppose I messed-up above. I was really thinking of optimal strategy vs. deviation from optimal and I was approximating mixed play as non-optimal. That was just dumb thinking and wording on my part.