View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 03:49 PM

Default Re: BvB against overdefending TAG

"You shouldn't limp here."

I would limp in this spot with this hand very close to 100% of the time. If the BB is not gonna fold to a SB open and he is also going to play tenaciously postflop, many hands that people think are standard raises actually become standard limps. A2o is one of those hands.

"A high is strong against a random hand."

Having an equity edge is not enough to justify a raise. Once we realize we have an edge we need to think about the line that is most likely to capture that edge. It is my contention that openraising in this spot is not the line that is most likely to seize our equity edge.

"If your read is so strong that you know that he will always raise with any two, you might consider a limp-3bet line."

Now youre on the right track. Im not saying that this is the right line but youre thinking in the right direction. Whenever you are OOP against aggressive tenacious opponents you will often have to take what may seem to be very unconventional lines just to get your fair share or close to your fair share.

"I think you have to fire on the turn."

Against most opponents, you should be check/folding the turn.

"His call on the flop doesn't mean much."

It would be nice to have the stat on this guy's flop folding percentage. I never play without this stat, I think its very important.

"Actually, the kind of player you describe would often raise the flop with any piece of it. He might just call to see if you'll continue on the turn. If you don't, he will bet to try and take it away from you."

This is the exact kind of player we dont want to open raise with A2o with. Having the initiative with this hand does not help us vs this specific opponent. In fact it hurts us. We are much better off open limping with this type of hand and letting him raise us with a very wide range. Letting him have the initiative will make this hand much easier to play correctly, which means we are much more likely to attain our fair share in this situation.