View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 01:40 PM

Default Re: Microsoft to lose Billions - WTO Rules against U.S.

[ QUOTE ]
How does this help us as poker players? From my novice view, if Antigua and other affected countries win compensation claims against the United States, it would be in the form of non poker related benefits. Are we going to give up poker and start selling cheap copies of Vista? I suppose this could force the United states to somehow repeal the UIGEA, but i don't see how. Just my two cents anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it starts to look like there will be major sanctions that will negatively impact industries with a lot to lose then they'll hopefully start pushing the government to negotiate or, even better, reverse its' decision. This could potentially lead to something positive. The reporting in the mainstream media would gain traction and be heavily influenced by PR from these industries. This is apt to make the government look bad in the eyes of the common man.

Imagine if the record, movie, and software industries directed their lobbying and PR machines to this. Although their goals would be different than our's, the outcome might not be.