Thread: I'm new to...
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 11:12 AM

Default Re: I\'m new to...

[ QUOTE ]
My advice:

Skip the books and get in there and play. Take $50 shots. If you lose, take a walk and think things over--then try again a couple of hours later.

If you go broke four times straight, you've still got $800. At that point you can regroup--try a different game or give it up with most of your BR in tact.

Not everybody wins at this game--it's hard.

I've left Vegas broke more times than I can count, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. That being said, I just got to Vegas yesterday. Haven't been here in five years. Been everywhere else in the country, but this is the first time I've had the urge to come back since Becky had the WSOP.

Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do know this is 2+2 right? Home of GOOD advice? Then why are you giving such bad recommendations?

1) Read Ed Miller's Getting Started in Hold'em. Its the best and easiest book to read to get you started

2) Learn online. You can play thousands of hands to learn the feel of the table in the time frame it will take you to play 100 live. I play live all the time, but its not the best place to learn. Another option is using simulators like Poker Academy which uses artificial UI (ignore the advice they give on how to play your hand, its sub-optimal). You can get the software here.

3) Visit the micro and small stakes strategy forums here on the 2+2 , read each hand history and you will learn how to avoid some of the biggest traps and maximize your expected value very fast.

Good luck. We were all beginners once but take it from someone who has been there, the best way to learn now a days is on your computer.