View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Super/System 2 vs. the original

One evening I went to the bookstore and grabbed a copy of SS1 and SS2 and turned the NL pages one at a time together, it is sickening how much work went into making 2 look different than 1, while at the same time saying the EXACT same thing. I even explained it to my wife as the equivalent to when we were in school and had to do a country report in Soc. Studies and you would get an encyclopedia(*) and rewrite EXACTLY what the book said except you would get tricky and change "the" to "a" and "many" to "alot" etc. I actually looked a little different at Doyle after discovering this for myself, and if you think I am exageratting I challenge you to go to the book store yourself. Now the other chapters in SS2 by the other authors are NEW about more relevant games today compared to the chapters in SS1, but Doyle could have contributed something new. Its kind of like getting todays sports page, and the middle three pages are the same stories from a week ago, if you read it last week nothing new, if you missed it last week its good stuff if you are a sports fan, but did you buy todays paper to read last Wednesday's news?

(*)Encyclopedias were a volume of books that were arranged alphabetically and contained a plethora of information before the internet, for you .com wiz kids out there. And if your parents were really cool they would buy a two or three year old set from a library book sale so you had a set at home and you could cheat on your reports at the last second providing for some EPIC procrastination.