View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Another Obnoxious Post About The Math Knowledgeable and/orTalented

I generally agree with what you're saying and I too am interested in how to make the most persuasive case for it. I've never really bought the 3ish arguments about lack of social skills except in the most extreme examples. I think you can find the same kind of extreme examples in most all fields. There are such extreme examples among great Artists, Writers, Actors, Musicians, Poets, Mystics, and Billionaire Business People. Social ineptness is not that hard to find once you look for it.

However, this view can be taken too far. For example, it would be a Fallacy to conclude that the Math-Science skilled would automatically be able to give expert opinions in Fields which they Have Not Studied in depth. Furthermore, not All Principles involved in other fields of study relate well to Math-Science concepts. A Math-Science Expert whose thinking is so dominated by concepts of Math-Science that he cannot adapt his thinking to Principles Foreign to Math-Science may actually be at a disadvantage when attempting study in the Field governed by such Principles.

For example in the Field of Art, what are the Principles that govern opinions on a good work of Art? What Principles are applied by the great Actor? Or Poet? Or Mystic? While some math-science concepts might be brought into play in these fields, they are not the Fundamental Ones which govern the field. A Math-Science expert who cannot adapt his thinking to these Principles will never be able to give expert opinions in the Field no matter how much he tries to apply his Math-Science expertise. Math-Science allows us to do many things well. But it is not enough to do All things well.

Matters can be even worse for the Math-Science Sophomore. He may not only fail to adapt his thinking to Principles that Govern other fields but he may make Sophomoric attempts to apply Math-Science concepts to them. He has studied enough Math-Science to know how powerful and important it is, but he does not have the in depth knowledge to realize its limitations.

This is worse than just being limited by his Math-Science Myopia in grasping the Foreign Principles of alien Fields. He will end up butchering his study of the Field with Sophomoric Math-Science Misapplications. His analogue in 2+2 land would be the guy who can never learn to be a good poker player because he just has a hunch that This Time 2-7 offset is going to flop a full house. Not only does he not learn probability but he misapplies his intuition. The same kind of thing happens when the Sophmoric Math-Science Myope fails to grasp the Principles of an Alien Field and then compounds his shortcoming by misapplying Math-Science to it.

PairTheBoard