View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM

Default Re: Poker rate in Tunica

The Horseshoe and the Gold Strike seem to be the most popular places. I just got back from a Tunica trip last week. The report is posted in this forum by BobPoker, who I went with.

I'm looking at going back with my wife in June and I just called both the Strike and the Shoe to get poker room rate pricing. Horseshoe - $30/weekdays $40/weekends. Gold Strike - $40/weekday $50/weekends. The Strike requires 5 hrs of play per day to get that rate and from what I've heard and the way Johnny Grooms (Strike tourney director) talked when I asked, they are pretty strict with the 5 hour rule. From my experience the Shoe seems to be more lenient and goes out of their way to do you any favors they can.

The Shoe will put you up in the Grand's Veranda hotel which is where we just stayed. Nice, nothing fancy, but very clean and plenty fancy enough for me. The problem I have with it is it's about 2 miles away from the Horseshoe and I don't like having to drive back and forth, but that doesn't bother many people. The Gold Strike is almost connected to the Horseshoe so if you stayed there, you could walk between the two poker rooms and it take no longer than 5 minutes max.

I can't speak for the Strike because I only played there a few hours on two occasions but the Shoe never turned us down for a free meal. More details on that in the trip report....

Just decide which place you'd rather stay and give them a call and be sure to book through the poker room. In my opinion if you don't mind driving back and forth from the Veranda to the Horseshoe (5 mins) then that would be the way I'd go. I've never been treated better anywhere than the Shoe.

- Jason