Thread: am i too tight?
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Re: am i too tight?

[ QUOTE ]
Raising it to 12 would leave me with about 9 which means i am pot commiteed if he repops right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. if he repops, you can fold. Pot commitment has three aspects:

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] You can't fold because folding would leave you with too few chips to continue.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] You can't fold because you're getting fantastic pot odds.
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] You can't fold because you've invested so much and don't want to throw that money away.

The first aspect is extremely important in tournament poker. In cash games, it doesn't exist. The third is purely psychological and not a good reason. Don't make that mistake: as soon as your money is in the pot, it's no longer yours. Don't throw good money after bad. That leaves #2, which is real, but overrated. It's what i love to hear from my short-stacked opponents after they called my flop all-in with AK unimproved. If you raise, you raise to find out whether you are beat. Once you found out you aree beat, pot odds of 2-1 are not good enough.

If you play with a full stack, by the way, #2 mostly disappears. Plus, you gain what Sklansky calls The Hammer of Future Bets, that is, your opponent cannot repop without a truly big hand.