View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Backgammon online

PartyGammon dumped a free $15 into my account the other day, and so I took a day off poker to play backgammon.

This was the first time I have played online, and I had a few thoughts / questions:

1. Some of the play is really bad - I played a $17 4-point match (seemed to be high-ish stakes compared to most of the games going) and he made a few bad errors with the cube and by leaving loads of blots for no apparent reason. Is this most people's experience?

2. The rake seems pretty punitive to me - is it actually possible to beat it for a worthwhile amount?

3. It strikes me that the variance playing BG is at least as high as poker. I obviously didn't play perfectly, but I gave a decent account of myself and still lost just under half my games to the muppets I was playing against. Apologies if this is an irritating / hard to answer question, but what would be a good-ish winrate playing ~$10 matches? Presumably the longer the matches you play the lower the variance?

I still have $35 in my PG account, and I'm trying to work out whether it's worth carrying on playing or whether I should just add the free money to my poker BR....

Any thoughts?