View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Bank is threatening to close my account if I continue “Onlin

[ QUOTE ]
BluffTHIS!, what are you thoughts on this whole thing. the UIGEA is not supposed to stop checks from coming from poker sites, yet here is a 2nd example (HSBC being the first) of a bank saying NO to poker site checks.

is this going to become the norm, or just a bank's interpretation of the UIGEA?

[/ QUOTE ]

We have discussed this ad nauseum in the legislation forum, and mainly what you are seeing with these examples is the proclivity of banks to take pro-active measures in excess of that which is required. When the actual regs come out in July, and the banks know exactly what is and isn't required of them, I think you will see things settle down.

Also note that unlike some total pessimists, I believe the regs will be mostly ineffective, as the sites, with the aid of friendly and willing banks *that also have large non-gambling site related business*, can easily defeat such blacklists by getting new accounts made for them each month with ABC Corp on the checks.

Nonetheless, these types of hyper-compliance by the banks and the sites themselves are a bigger threat to the ability of US players to continue to be able to play than are any actual regulations imposed on them.