View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Jobs in MLB, the pros and cons (a bit off topic I guess)

How many years do you need?

Lots of 21 or 22 year-olds are at those things.

I guess what you're getting into is more something I'm not as familiar with.
The job-fair is mostly minor-league jobs selling tickets and stuff. It gets you in the door though.
you can continue to build your resume on the stuff while there if you should be fortunate enough to land something.

If you've done ANYTHING in sports and have a good personality and are interested in working for peanuts you will have a shot at impressing some people just with who you are and land a coveted gig in Ogden, UT or Peoria, IL or Visalia, CA.

In the very least, going to the job-fair if only to get turned-down by 5 different teams will still give you an idea of what it's like.

I really suck at networking because sometimes I get too damn nervous when I meet new people.
And even I did okay at these things (I like to think it's because I actually have some talent).

When I was half-looking around to see what was open in Nashville in 2003 and in New Orleans in 2004 I was so much older than the job-fair people it was ridiculous.

Heh, my first baseball winter meetings was Louisville in 1992. I'm old.

I interviewed for a position in Charleston, WV at 3am or something (his other interviewees were running super-long. radio people like to talk).

BTW - I was pushing really hard for that AA gig in Binghamton in 2003 with Scott Brown. But there was already a pretty well-known announcer who he was friends with who was interested in it. Once he decided he wanted it they didn't even need to bother interviewing anyone else.
I might have actually had a shot at it otherwise though.

If I ever got really going on this poker thing and actually stopped losing money (in other words, had a really good year or two and didn't really care about taking some gig that pays $2k/mth or less) I might try to get back into radio part-time.

It's just too much fun. And I'm a better announcer I think than I am a poker-player.
Didn't really miss it too badly once I left though which kind of surprised me since I got pretty used to traveling and practicaly living at the ballpark.

So don't be surprised if I make it to the meetings either this December or next and start shopping around with all the little kiddies again.

There are some teams in the Florida State League who don't do radio at all and I could just go down there and set up internet-webcasts of the games myself and see if I could sell any advertising for them.
I've already thought out a lot of ways to pull off something like this and looked up people I know to make sure they're still in the same place.

Perhaps I'll be broadcasting the Tampa Yankees vs. Sarasota Reds at this time next year or the year following.