View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Jobs in MLB, the pros and cons (a bit off topic I guess)

[ QUOTE ]
Some people get jobs in the Northwoods and other similar leagues at the baseball winter meetings too I believe.

Getting a gig there can totally open doors for you.

The low-paying stuff you would be doing there would be pretty identical to what you would do in the regular minor-leagues.

More importantly, it's a resume builder.
You show up the next year applying for internships having actually already done it.

Lots of intern-applicants have 1 or 2 years of experience already and are clearly ahead of your everyday-college-kid or grad who MAYBE spent a little time in his school's sports-administration office.

One guy I know who is a GM in the Florida State League started as an intern with us in Vero Beach, then got a job GM'ing in one of the summer-college leagues (think it was in NC, but it might have been the Northwoods League), and then was able to land a job as a GM back in the 'regular' minors.

If this guy also knows people in the minors and his recommendation carries weight for the future then it's definitely an awesome opportunity for you.
I'm guessing some of his former GM's there went on to get bigger gigs with bigger teams.
He recommends you after your awesome performance with him all summer and introduces you to some guy with the Durham Bulls or Buffalo Bison who used to work for him...and you're off and running.

It's May though. This is pretty last minute to try to get something going for this summer. If you're going to try to do this for this season you probably should act quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha ha ha.

This was my 25,000th post and I didn't even realize it.