View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 AM

Default Re: Does where you live matter to you?

I've lived in Boston, Portland ME, Nantucket, San Francisco, and New York. I'm back in Boston now mainly because my family and my fiancees family are all here for the most part.

I second most of what El D said above in regards to culture, food, et al - but you can check off most of that list in any major city in America (and Europe, Austrailia, etc.). But once I had a niece and nephew and my folks started getting older, I had an overwhelming desire to not live 3000 miles away from them anymore.

I watched as my Grandmother got old and my mom had to take care of her. My Uncle had moved away long ago and basically flew back every Christmas and when she died. I also never got to know my cousins very well. I don't think this was fair to my mother and I don't plan on putting my sister through that by herself. I also was always a bit bummed out I wasn't closer to my cousins. I want my children (~ 3 years or so?) to get to know their cousins / aunts / uncles / etc. I think it is very healthy for their development to be part of a large loving family.

So, in short, yes -- where I live matters very much to me.