View Single Post
Old 05-21-2007, 12:08 AM

Default Re: negotiation questions

I'm not sure if they are common*, but it's really simple, especially if you're a college student and this is close to being your first 'real' job: Call the person back who gave you the salary figure (even if they contacted you via email, for some reason - do this on the phone), and say "Well, I'm very interested in your offer, but I must admit that I have seen other offers in this field that are a little bit higher, and even received one myself..."

Pause here, having finished in an expectant tone, and let them either flat-out make a higher offer, ask you what kind of number you are looking for, or respond "I'm sorry but the offered salary is non-negotiable."

Proceed, carefully, from there. The course of action to take with each response will be obvious, just don't come off as rude and if they say it's non-negotiable, kindly! thank them for letting you know and then tell them you'll call them back as soon as you make a decision.

Remember, the offer will not be retracted because you ask for more pay, and if you get it, you'll have that many more reasons in your bank account to smile.

Edit
* salary negotiations in internships, that is