View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 08:47 PM

Default Re: I don\'t believe stories about how much people win. Do you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But of course this never happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what this means, even tho I understand your post, I find it hard to believe that anyone, especially a beginner player, would be THAT disciplined. I guess I'm wrong on this point, but wouldn't it take MONTHS even at penny games where the winning is relatively easy, to build your bankroll into something substantial so you could have a shot at it? And wouldn't you have to pretty much always run well?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just meant that if you're a winning player, and you play like this, your downswings will never be so large, it will never happen.

Getting out of the penny games should only take a couple of months. I started at the .01/.02, and moved up to the .50/1.00 within 3 months or so. I was doing this on a family member's account, theoretically I never dipped below an original $2. It took 9 months before I moved up to $10/$20, and 5 months later up to $20/$40. I had a job and grad school, I never even got to play much. Not only have I never redeposited, I have withdrawn a lot and I guarantee none of that money is ever going back in. It's been spent.

I took shots at $15/$30 and $20/$40 Limit, but that's where I started hitting variance, or maybe I just suck, and I cowered back to $10/$20. But if I were better at poker (ha!), good enough to win 1.5 BB/100 at the $30/$60 when the sites were good, and played more, the scenario you describe would have been pretty easy.

There was a running thread, by nath, I think, in BBV, where he turned a small amount into $1000 in a week on a prop bet.