View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 05:52 PM

Default Re: ~~~ OFFICIAL YANKEES 2007 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS OR BUST THREAD ~~

Anyone read the article by Jeff Pearlman at espn.com calling for Torre to be fired? What a [censored] joke. For the record I am a Yankee fan who is somewhat indifferent on Torre. I think his in game decision making is slipping a little but you can't blame him for all the injuries.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...p;sportCat=mlb

[ QUOTE ]
Yet, in one of the great managerial achievements in Yankees history, Torre took a team of castaways (Mike Aldrete, Matt Howard, Charlie Hayes), youngsters (Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera) and big-name vets on the downside of their careers (Dwight Gooden, Cecil Fielder, Tim Raines) and molded the franchise's first world champion in 18 seasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Matt Howard? You mean the Matt Howard who has 54 career at-bats, all with the Yankees in '96, and none in the playoffs? It's like Pearlman said, "Hmmm, I'm going to make the point that Torre was good at managing castoffs back in the day. But who? Hmmm.....baseball-reference.com, NYY franchise index, 1996...AHA! Matt Howard! He sucks, I'll put him in my column!"

And Cecil Fielder being a big name vet on the downside of his career? O rly? At the time the Yankees traded for him in '96, he led all players in HRs and RBIs in the 90's. He had 39 HRs and 117 RBIs in '96 and had a monster postseason. It was only the next year that he started to suck.

[ QUOTE ]
With the departures of coaches like Stottlemyre, Willie Randolph and Don Zimmer, he is left with a cast of failed managers (Tony Pena, Larry Bowa) and future failed managers (Don Mattingly) as his assistants.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's with the random hating on Donnie Baseball? That was just completely out of left field. What a douche Pearlman is.