View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Shaving: Merkur Safety Razors

Often days, shaving is about the only time I have alone all day. I take a few extra steps than the norm but it never takes more than 4-5 minutes. The extra steps I take are to use a face wash like cetaphil, not soap, and to put hair conditioner on my beard in the shower for 15-20 seconds before rinsing it off. I fill the sink with very hot water, drop the whole razor in, and use a facecloth and hold it to my beard for as long as I can stand it, and then repeat a couple more times. I never use foam because it dries the [censored] out of my face, only gel. Every couple of days I add a drop or two of jojoba oil to the gel and mix it in real good. Shave regularly, making sure to use short stokes and rinse the blade often. Rinse with warm then cold water. I use a toner instead of aftershave because it feels awesome. I then use an oil-free moistureizer because I'm getting old. The best trick I ever learned was from my father. After shaving put your blade or cartridge, or disposable, in mineral oil. It extends the sharpness of the steel about 10x. Before using the blade the next day, swish it around in a little bit of rubbing alcohol to clean off the mineral oil and sterilize the blade. Eliminates razor bumps and for me, irritations.