View Single Post
Old 02-26-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: A must read post about \"bad\" poker books.

I agree deacsoft, however there is another factor that you omitted.

In many cases, the comments about books and the value of reviews of books on this forum do not take into account the perspective from which the book is written and the intended audience.

As an example, Aces on the River is written from the perspective of a top championship player, and the information in it certainly would be useful to someone playing at that level or a level close to it. The concepts presented in that book would not be much use to somebody playing $22 SNGs.

Likewise Holdem Poker for the Advanced Player is clearly intended for people playing at middle limits in the $30/60 range. Both the reader and the reviewer need to distinguish what parts of it are applicable for somebody playing $.50/1.

GSIH clearly is written for the beginner and while everything in it remains correct, it is not necessarily all valid for an excellent player playing at $100/200.

Now, I am not making excuses for bad poker books. Siberstang and Warren are what they are. Some of the books that consistently get good/bad reviews on the forum have, as you indicate, some value even if not everything in them is absolutely correct. But one must also look at for whom they are written and in that perspective whether the information is correct or not.

For the person offering a review on this forum to explain what information is wrong and why as you suggest, I would suggest also an indication of who the book is intended for, and to whom it would be useful.

Doc [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]