View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Default Re: MTT/STT starting hands

[ QUOTE ]
Hi all,

I have read a lot of posts on the MTT and STT strategy forums and was wondering three things.
1. For the "survivalist" in MTTs, what range of hands do you consider playing in the beginning/early stages?
3. For the "accumulators" in MTTs, what range of hands do you playing in the beginning/early stages?
3. Does your play differ when you play early stages in an STT as opposed to a MTT?

It will help me greatly if you identified your style of play and then answered those questions because I have no idea if I am an accumulator or survivalist and my range of hands is proportional to my range of emotions at the moment
[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I understand that everybody plays the table and the players and the buy-ins e.t.c. but I have not read anywhere such an open discussion on particular hand types, each type of player is willing, and will, play. (Can maybe even list in terms of EP, MP or LP). Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Hellmuth would probably be considered a survivalist, and in one of his books, for MTTs at the early levels he recommends opening with a very small range of starting hands, for example, not playing any pair smaller than eights, no suited connectors, and no non-paired cards except for AK and AQ.

However, everything is situational, and Hellmuth said that just by putting that in a book, he would have to change it up once in a while in case some one sitting across from him at the table had read his book.

And no matter how tight a list of hands you come up with, always keep the big picture. One example: On the button I would certainly call 5 limpers with suited (no gap)connectors.