View Single Post
Old 05-16-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Is poker a profession?

How is it that there are poker players that are referred to as professionals?

[ QUOTE ]
A profession is an occupation that requires extensive training and the study and mastery of specialized knowledge, and usually has a professional association, ethical code and process of certification or licensing

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is not a profession. It`s not! Tournament poker is even less of a profession. It is, less--of a profession, I mean. Don`t argue with me. Sklansky has been trying that for years and he has, I`m sure, figured out that he can`t win.

Why? Because I am right about most things. And in this case I am absolutely right. Poker is not a profession. Winning at poker is possible not because you are a professional skilled at playing poker. Winning at poker is possible because your opponents play bad. What kind of profession is that? It`s not a profession. It`s just a game and as such should be treated as one. Have fun while you can when you play. Ask A. Shoemaker. He knows, he got psyche smarts. He`s a professional. Sklansky`s not. He`s just a game player that got lucky for a while. Besides he writes and sells things, like books. Now that`s a profession. Poker `s not.

pokervintage