View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 07:49 PM

Default Re: The art of the insult.

[ QUOTE ]
When people are insulting each other, are there boundaries that shouldn't be crossed?

Here's the situation that elicits the question. On another forum I'm hated by many, often flamed because of my views and inability to turn the other cheek. So this wheelchair bound crippled guy decides to join in on the fun. Here's the exchange that took place:

[ QUOTE ]
Illeagle's a keeper. As much fun as the Black Plague, broken ribs and chronic IBS. He's brought nothing but joy into my internet life. Dante wrote about your future Mr. Illeagle. Enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

To this I simply replied:

[ QUOTE ]
Am I as much fun as legs that don't work?

[/ QUOTE ]

So tell me, did I go too far? Should I have reigned myself in and not treated this disabled guy the same way I treat able-bodied people? Was it unfair of me to refer to his physical disability after he inferred I am spiritually and morally disabled?

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm... I dunno. When I make the effort to insult someone, I try to hit them where it hurts their ego. But I wouldn't use anything they can't change against them. I'd aim for something that the person believes he/she is good at and take that apart.
In this case, the dude obviously seems very chaffed about his wittiness, intelligence, and knowledge of Dante.

I'd probably opt for something in the line of
[ QUOTE ]
Wait a second... Aren't those almost the exact words your mom uttered just before she "accidentally" dropped you on your head?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure with a bit more time on your hands you can come up with way better lines than that.