View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Dunking in basketball

ive read that a lot of jumping power is directed from the hips/glutes/hamstrings rather than from the calves directly...so rdl/good morning/squats...i think robert remedios has a manual on increasing your vert...

How important is your lower leg in vertical jump training?

Here's a quote from Joe DeFranco:

"You once said that big calves have about as much to do with how high you can jump as the color of your hair. What's the full story on "big hops"?

JD: The posterior chain (spinal erectors, gluteals and hamstrings) makes up around 70% of the musculature responsible for your jumping ability. Squat and deadlift variations, Olympic lifts, and good mornings will give you the most bang for your buck in the weightroom with regards to improving your vertical jump.

There's another very interesting factor that plays a large role in how high you can jump. I’ve had the pleasure of working with over two-dozen athletes who can jump over 35". Besides being very strong in the posterior chain, they had something else in common: "high cut" calves. What I mean by this is that their calves had an insertion point very high on their lower leg. This usually means a longer Achilles tendon. A longer Achilles tendon can store more elastic energy, which translates into more explosive jumps.

Think about this: have you ever seen a kangaroo with big calves? Of course not! The reason they can jump so high lies in the length of their Achilles tendons. Kangaroos have the longest Achilles tendon of any animal on earth. They also spring off the ground better than any other animal on earth. Unfortunately, you can’t increase the length of your Achilles tendon — it’s genetic. You have your parents to thank for that. "

http://www.fitfriends.com/showthread.php?t=4476