View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Stud hi: What\'s your plan when 3-bet on 3rd by an overpair?

The point is not that we care what the A's profit is, but that if it is abnormally high in this situation it indicates that we are playing exploitably tight.

Of all the hands you listed the only ones that are bad for us are overpairs to 88 (or roll-ups). These are just not going to be that prevalent in any solid player's distribution here.

Really your argument seems to be that this is a high variance low EV play, which I think is never an acceptable argument in poker. You should be arguing that it is -EV, and I don't see how it can be.

Put yourself in the A's spot. Everyone folds to you and there remain an 8 up and the 2 bring-in. You are getting 1.9:1 on a completion.

What % of your hands are you completing here? Do you really think the 885 should be folding behind you?

I think maybe a lot of you guys are used to playing loose ring game stud where these situations are not common so you can get away with playing them too tight. To me the idea of folding a pair of 8's to someone in that favorable of a steal position is mind-boggling.