View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Stud hi: What\'s your plan when 3-bet on 3rd by an overpair?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Say you're in a full game and everyone folds to a live A, which completes into you with (8s5c)8d and the 2h BI.

IMO you have a mandatory reraise here as you should be significantly ahead of the A's range, and you have a substantial amount of fold equity (specifically he should fold any non-pair, non-3-flush, non-overcards).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think that you have a mandatory reraise here with any playable hand? If not, how do you avoid giving away the strength of your hand? If your strategy is to call down anyways, wouldn't you be better off calling sometimes with your medium-strength hands that have potential showdown possibilities unimproved or lightly improved and semibluff-raising with some worse hands (as well as your best ones) where you want to maximize fold equity?

If your opponent will always continue with a bet on fourth (and perhaps fifth) if you just call, what about sometimes delaying your raise until a later street? Just because a reraise might be +EV (and I'm not claiming that it is), a delayed raise might be more +EV?

[/ QUOTE ]

I like the thinking here. If you say you are going to see the river with your 8s and no kicker ( I think I go with electrical on this one and fold this a majority of the time), I think sometimes waiting until 4th or 5th to raise can be a good play...unless you improve you get to act last. If villain is on a total bluff, he might give up right away to a raise (though that seems very rare). If you are going to see the river regardless, might as well buy a free card if you want one. If you get 3 bet you can probably fold.