View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 10:25 PM

Default Re: Book Review: Killer Poker by the Numbers, by Tony Guerrera

Gelford,

I appreciate the forwardness of your comment! When I wrote my book, I had to figure out how to make it appeal to the widest audience possible (I need to optimize my sales EV afterall), and the way to do that was to comfort the people who are scared of math. I feel like the book needed to be very slow and hand-holding in the beginning because I needed to bring the non-advanced readers up to speed. I know such an introduction would frustrate readers like you (and myself), but it had to be done that way.

I don't want to start a Sklansky-bashing bandwagon, but I strongly remember something he once wrote in Tournament Poker For Advanced Players. On pages 123-124, he has a parenthetical that reads as follows:

"If you don't know how I got that, stop reading this book right now. You are not ready for it. You don't know enough about poker. And, you deserve to lose."

I take quite a different attitude...I want to write advanced advanced material that welcomes people from all educational and poker-playing backgrounds...I really want to talk to my readers as a friend. It's tough to please all the people all the time, but I tried to do the best that I could do when writing Killer Poker By The Numbers.

To Gelford and all the readers like him, there's lots of advanced stuff in my book once you get through the first chapter. Seeing situations through your opponents' eyes is an important skill at the poker table, so try to envision the writing process I went through in trying to write an advanced book that could appeal to the broadest audience possible [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Tony Guerrera