Thread: Aggression
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Aggression

I believe it comes down to calculating the right time to make an aggressive move. Whether that consists of check/raising, bet/reraising or whatever, the aggression is intended to fulfill a certain role, win the pot. I think the key is not to make certain aggressive moves without considering the consequence of the action not turning out as anticipated.

Good players are able to adjust their thinking without tipping off that they are thinking about what to do. In other words a good player will anticipate what each move will be in advance of their opponents and try to acertain whether their read is still correct after their action. This is done with every action at the table and is why you should pay attention at all times.

A great anticipation of folding by your opponents can lead to quite profitable hands that were normally non-betable and lead to further aggressive play. I see a lot of people being aggressive just to be aggressive and not understanding how their reaction to your play is just as important . Mindless chips are thrown into the pot in order to push small edges into large losses. That is why aggressiveness is debated so much and still not yet understood by many.

The original poster is very good at explaining this concept about controlled aggression. It is something that will change your game if you understand it fully. Great post.