Thread: Aggression
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Re: Aggression

I think you're on the right track. I would further characterize players as controlled agressors and maniacal aggressors. Obviously, you are trying to be a controlled aggressor.

I would also add into the mix the concept of reading the playing in order to determine when to be aggressive. For example, when a player in late position raises and you know their weak, you call, then check raise on the flop. A lot of learning how to be aggressive is situational. It comes from playing hours and hours and studying players, their patterns and reactions to those situations.

There's a great book on bluffing by Matt Lessinger (I think)... it talks a lot about WHEN to bet. How much is more difficult. Depends on pot size and players likelihood to call, the board's texture, etc. For example. If you flopped an A-hi flush and a loose player has the K, you could probably bet 3/4 of the pot to the whole pot and they'll still call. If they've been know to chase.

There's no way to give a one-size-fits-all answer, but we can send you on the right path.