Thread: Hitler And God
View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: Hitler And God

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I admit this post will be so simplistic it could have been thought up by a six year old. But it still needs to be said.

Not Ready is fond of invoking Hitler when discussing the subject of right and wrong in a godless world. How can someone say that Hitler was inherently "wrong" to kill six million Jews if there is no God to say he was? He probably had what he thought were good reasons. He probably wasn't just a sicko sadist.

And although I haven't seriously analyzed that statement, I think it is technically correct. Regardless of what the hi falootin philosophers say.

But wait. Inherent in this statement is the common sense (but not strictly logical) implication that God WOULD have considered Hitler wrong. But why? I mean these people will soon burn in hell for eternity anyway. Is God mad at Hitler because a miniscule percentage of them would have converted to Christianity? Or because it is his job, not Hitler's, to torture those that don't? Perhaps. But I don't think this is what Not Ready was getting at. So I think he ought to find a better example than one that even a six year old could find fault with.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what you're getting at. What difference does it make if a percentage of Hitler's victims were sinners, saints, or would-be converts? God would consider it wrong to destroy precious God-given life. That makes perfect sense to me, and I don't even believe in God. ??

More important in refuting these very weak arguments about mass murderers who happened to be atheists, is to point out that morality does not need to eminate from a singular or central source. Morality is just another product of our evolution and hence, further evidence for it.