View Single Post
Old 05-14-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Free will argument

I think God exists outside of time - you seem to be considering that he knows what you will choose before you make the choice. Strictly I think this is a misconception - it's not that he knows what you will choose before it happens. It's that words like "now", "past" and "future" just dont apply. All times are equally accessible to God. So he sees the future, the past and the present all as "the same".

It may be helpful to consider decisions made by others in the past. Even though you have complete knowledge of their decision now, nonetheless they made a completely free choice back then.

Similarly, I think that knowing what to us is the future is no different from God's perspective as what to us is in the past. There's no paradox knowing what someone chose yesterday, similarly there's know paradox in knowing what someone chose tomorrow. The paradox arises only if you know the decision before it is made (which requires existing in time, which God is purported not to).

My answer is probably more confused than your question, but it's the best I've ever been able to do. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]