Thread: Career Mess-Ups
View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did you feel at ease with the way they would devote so much time to the idiots outside the studio shrieking and squealing and waving banners about whatever backwater burg they were on temporary furlough from whenever the camera came on them? And then pretend to be so incredibly delighted by it, every time, day after day for years? I didn't. It gave me the willies. Felt super honest, and sure put me at ease. I've now been psychologically bullet-proofed for the coming zombie invasion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought she seemed at ease and not as big a phony as say Kathy Lee Gifford

[/ QUOTE ]

heheh, well, Gifford is in a class of her own that she created and will forever rule over. NOBODY is as big a phony as she is. Not quite fair going to her for much of a comparison to anything human.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think CBS saw her as having mass appeal that would automatically translate to the evening crowd.

[/ QUOTE ]

That strikes me as such a bizarre notion. Could you see Peter Jennings or Walter Cronkite basing their career on being tirelessly vapidly bubbly? WTF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I thought it was a dumb move myself. If they had asked me I would have told them it was pretty dumb. It's not even that she's vapidly bubbly. It's that she doesn't have the right tone and demeanor

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I said. She's doesn't have the right tone and demeanor. The one she does have is vapid and bubbly.

[ QUOTE ]
and she has too much celebrity coming into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure. If she had celebrity of a more serious kind, I dunno. It's just that the celebrity she had wasn't serious at all. They tried to transplant her as if the "news" she was doing was really news. It wasn't. Not at all. And everything else was even further from that.

[ QUOTE ]
The American evening news audience doesn't want warm and congenial. It wants serious and business-like. She hadn't sat behind a news desk in years and none of us were going to buy it. The format was wrong. It was WRONG WRONG WRONG. There were any number of potential news anchors out there to go with, they just went with a ridiculous choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like the munchkin, and would want her to be my Bubble-Yum or even Slim Jim (eat me!) spokesman if I owned either of those brands. As a news anchor, I'd feel just as comfortable with Carrot Top, at least now that he's on roids and taking himself more seriously.