View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: My Mom and Judaism

I'm not Jewish, so take my statements with a lot of skepticism. Your mother is not absurd at all. Judaism is more than just a religion. It's a culture and ethnic group (Nation?) with an incredible history. No other culture in the history of mankind has lasted as long. No other culture has produced so many influential people regardless of size. For example: King David, Moses, Jesus, St. Paul, Karl Marx, Einstein and lots of others. Something great must be going on within that culture. It would be a shame to lose it.

Now your mother may not be consistent, but she is making an effort. The dietary laws are something that set your culture apart from others. So maintaining them or at least trying to helps keep it alive.

As far as community goes, I believe that can be one of the best parts of any religious gathering. You may say you don't like the other people at the synagogue, but I imagine you have a lot in common with most of them. Open your mind a little bit and you might find some interesting people there.

Learning any foreign language helps you in the long run, even if it's a more or less dead one (I believe Israeli's speak Hebrew so it's not really dead). I think it would be great to be able to read some of the Biblical texts in their original language.

As far as services being boring. I think it's a good thing to go through something boring on a regular basis. Being able to do that is a valuable skill and will help you through the rest of your life. Additionally, in times of stress, ritual can be very calming. Sort of a comfort food for the mind.

Cliff Notes: Your mother is right. There is more to Judaism than believing in God.