View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 06:24 AM

Default Re: 3k buy-in, big stacks, out in 5 minutes...am I stupid or badluck

Ouch!

It def. sucks to be busted in the first 5 minutes of a tournament ,but you kind of answered some questions yourself about this hand:
1. Raising OOP w/AQ to pick-up the blinds-dead money?
There is ONLY $300 in the pot in first level!
2.In a deepstack tourney,POT CONTROL,should be a major priority.Why re-raise the flop,and not get more info after the turn?
3.Once he PUSHES(and your read was correct,but remember he has a big hand himself),.....you have to decide if you are willing to go broke this early?
By saying you will then have "the chip lead" ,or "he couldnt have xxx" or "he Won his way in via SAT" is wrong!

Does the outcome SUCK?....Yes
Could you have played the hand better and NOT BUST?...DEF

The whole idea of a Deepstack Tournament is to be able to play poker after the flop,slow down,and NOT let ONE bad hand/bad beat eliminate you.Whether he got lucky,he made a terrible play,whatever is irrelevant,to the fact that you gambled and unfortunatly lost as a 2-1 FAV.

I must say though it SUCKS to drive 3hrs and be out in the first few hands,but that DRIVE alone would have slowed me down on that flop RE-RAISE I think.

Tournaments DO suck most-times however,but there is always another!

~stephen

*** another thing I realized after reading through your post,was why would you risk "a large part of your bank roll" anyway?