View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Default Re: State of Alabama: Libertarians are terrorists

[ QUOTE ]
I am reading this thread, but apparently...you think I am some other poster? I had been thinking that your previous posts and responses to me might have seemed slightly odd, but I assure you, I am no other poster, and I post only as myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, whatever, I might be wrong. I still have my suspicions you're MMMMMM.

[ QUOTE ]
My question is whether this particular profile has any basis to support it. Have domestic terrorists other than McVeigh and his cohort, and perhaps one or two mentioned elsewhere in this thread, espoused the views cited on the state website?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question is silly.

Let's take a step back. What do you mean by "domestic terrorists"?

Extremist right-wing movements of varied sorts put themselves in compounds in places like rural Idaho, stock up on copies of The Turner Diaries, get angry about Ruby Ridge and Waco, and train themselves into rag-tag militias and paramilitary groups. They generally believe the Constitution has been subverted, feel the federal government is no longer sovereign or legitimate, and are fervently anti-gun control. They have names like "Christian Defense League", "Posse Commitatus", "Montana State Militia", etc. Americans associated with these movements probably number in the thousands, if not tens of thousands.

Are they "domestic terrorists"? Of course not, unless you have a rather loose definition of 'terrorist'. As far as I know, outside of random and ostensibly lone-wolf acts like McVeigh's and Rudolph's, who have but tangential connections to such groups, they don't do a whole lot.

But there aren't a whole lot of "domestic terrorists" in the US, period. So asking for some kind of "statistical evidence" to demonstrate a correlation to terrorism is nothing but goal-post moving. As I've pointed out numerous times, no one requires such statistical evidence when advocating for the profiling of Muslims. In fact, they outright deny such a requirement exists -- "3,000 people died on 9/11, and Muslims flew the plane; that's all the justification I need!" is a typical mantra we hear.

Terrorism is quite rare in the US, so by nature, there's no group more than a few people large we could "profile" where a statistically significant cohort of members would be correlated to prior acts of terrorism. I'm not sure why this is so hard for you to understand. It's a rather obvious and clear point, I think.