View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: War Against the Bots

Bluff I think we are at an impasse here. To sum up my feelings:

Either in the case of spam or a botters website it is not ethical to launch any sort of attack that will cause collateral damage. I never followed the Yahoo story back in the day and I don't know how it all shook out but I seriously hope some heads rolled over it.

In war collateral damage may be acceptable as the stakes are high but this is not war. I do not believe in vigilante justice except in the most extreme circumstances. Also please don't cite some 'spam causes x billion per year in damages' example, we are focusing a bit too much on spam here anyways.

Now, riddle me this: If the DOJ believes that say Stars is breaking the law is it ethical for them to launch a massive DOS attack if it floods all the pipes between here and there?

finally
[ QUOTE ]

3) As to "collateral damage", that is unavoidable many times just as in real war as it is very hard to pinpoint an attack that only strikes the intended target. If you want to avoid problems, then don't use IPs/hosts that are indiscriminate as to whom their customers are and what they do.

[/ QUOTE ]
As to the bold I stand by my earlier statement:
[ QUOTE ]

Should they have to research every website hosted on it before they put up a page in order to prevent being attacked by vigilantes? Ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]