View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 06:03 PM

Default Re: Ethanol and Oil&Corn Prices

I find it funny how all the focus about freeing the U.S. from oil people only think of energy. While ignoring plastic. Plastic needs oil, and the solutions to that problem are more complex, in part due to less overt focus by the government(s). Lastly, corn destroys crops by sucking massive quantities of nitrogen out of the soil, to replace it they nitrogenate the soil, funny enough to extract nitrogen from the earth requires a great deal of energy. Yes I know that the air is full of it, but we are talking about efficient extraction. Just some thoughts, if I had more time I would lead you to some research, but try searing for bushel into gas conversion prices then look how much energy it takes to grow a corn. Better yet realize how much corn we would need to grow to support our current energy needs. I could go on, but you see my point. I know this is a bit of topic, but I felt this should be noted in everyone's estimation of usability of ethanol as the silver bullet.

P.S. My favorite part about ethanol is that in its purest form you can drink it.