View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 03:14 PM

Default Re: SNG Book Announcement:

[ QUOTE ]
Upon further reflection I realized why these .,;: helped!

I just find symbols with fewer meanings than the traditional words easier to process and memorize.

Viz.

. = spade
, = heart
; = diamond
: = club

The above could be useful for international chat (with someone who doesn't speak English) or quick email descriptions of your hands.

For holdem and omaha, I suggest internally nested symbols to allow normal punctuation to function without confusion:
9:;K is 9 of clubs and King of diamonds; 9K:;.,4A is the same plus 4 of spades and ace of hearts for an omaha hand.

For stud, the exclusion of commas gets tricky.
However, you can denote the streets by using the shift key above the street numeral, so third street is # and 4th street is $, 5th=%, 6th=^ and 7th=& ... use these as prefixes to a street, so %9:;K means, "fifth street was 9 of clubs and King of diamonds."

Mnemonic aids for the suits are:

. = singularity = the big symbol for Ace of spades = Black hole = spade

, = a bleeding dot (.) ... hence the dripping of the blood resembles the comma's tail = the presence of redness

; = heterogeneity hence a common symbol binding heterosexual couples is a diamond. Also, the presence of
a comma implies redness

: = two of the clover leaflets of the club symbol, and the absence of a comma like symbol means there's no red.

Sense of humor? Do you realize how many jokes are hidden in that post? It's hard work, being funny! I'm not pretending to write the gospel, just suggesting something that might work in certain contexts (I'm aware that any ace can represent a singularity, just providing an aid).

Of course, some of this can look awfully ugly, so I am not necessarily saying it should all be standardized into all books, just the self published pamphlets for guys who only own typewriters. (See, that was a joke!) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Don't tell Mason that such notation would discourage the less dedicated players from bothering to read great texts thus leaving more money on the table for the dedicated. Let him think that the lazy players will still buy his books and leave them on their bookshelves for learning by osmosis.

[/ QUOTE ]