View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Three Years in Las Vegas

I find it interesting that so many people struggle with the idea of taking the plunge. For anyone who has started their own family I make an exception. But really what do you risk?

I made the decision to become a professional at the start of the year and don't regret it a bit. Most of my friends think I'm a nutty gambler and it doesn't bother me (though my closest friends are beginning to acquire an understanding).

I often try to explain to people that I am not a risk-taker. That I am in fact risk-averse. To me the proposition of working 9-5 and hating my life for the next 40+ years is an extremely risky play. Taking a shot at something I enjoy and may provide some long-term fulfillment? A shoe-in.

People say oh my god, what if you lose your whole bakroll? Big deal. Having just graduated from college, if I'd taken a crappy job I'd spend a lot of my money on new clothes and piss the rest away on booze out of frustration and unhappiness. If I lost my bankroll I'd have the same amount of money I'd have working a job. Effectively $0.

Someone suggested that taking this big "chance" could lead to one being homeless? WTF.

If you lose your bankroll (which should be fairly improbably with correct bankroll management) you GET A JOB. If you're an intelligent person with a degree I'm sure a company somewhere will give you one.

My advice is to take the decision to turn pro seriously, but take a shot if others aren't dependant on you. What do you really risk? Not much. Follow logic and never go into debt and you'll be fine. Just accept that you'll have to go back to a job if things don't pan out.

But, if you truly are an intelligent person and a reasonable poker player wirh discipline, you won't go broke. Seriously, you might not make any money, but you won't do much worse than break-even.

Yes sometimes poker gets boring and I think, maybe I should get one of those job things. But then I realize that I'd have to get up each morning and face the stresses of employment.

To the poster who said discipline cannot be learned, I believe you are incorrect. Disipline is not genetic in the least. Discipline can be learned through exercise, desire and practice.

"Man can do what he wills, be he cannot will what he wills."

If you truly have the drive to succeed in a given field and make x amount of $ I believe it can be done. But a passing thought of, "Geez I'd love to make 10 million" is not enough. If you will something strongly enough it will happen, within reason.

I'm drunk and rambling, but there is some truths in my thoughts.