View Single Post
Old 05-10-2007, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Three Years in Las Vegas

[ QUOTE ]

Someone needs to tell this guy about online poker. I cannot fathom why anyone would play something like 10-20 live, let alone 1/2 NL.

(And yes I skimmed enough to know he has some online experience.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point--I guess people who are 8-tabling need to be told about that online option. Did you miss the post where he said:

By the end of May, I had invested about $3,000 in a new computer and two of those ever popular Dell 2001FP monitors. I intended to jump into 8-tabling. First, I would do it at low-limits to get used to the mechanics of it. Then, I would move up when I thought I had the mechanics down pat.

In June and July of 2004, I played exclusively online except for a road trip I made to the Commerce with Clarkmeister and Ed Miller. It was just 3-6 on Party Poker (and skins). But, by 8-tabling, I was making more than $60/hour. Considering it was just 3-6, I had to be happy with the win rate. It was already more than I could reasonably expect to make in a live 20-40 game and it had considerably less variance.

Parts of online play were fun. Getting 10-12 times as many hands per hour ensured there weren’t any dead periods. If I wasn’t dealt a good hand at the moment, I only had to wait a few minutes before one would show up. On the other hand, there wasn’t the social atmosphere of the live game. Online play was definitely going to be a part of my career repertoire. But, it was only going to be a part. I intended to mix in live games as well after sorting out what I wanted to do online.

and the one where he said:

Entering the summer of 2005, I was in a comfortable bankroll situation. I had been playing exclusively online and having steady success as an 8-table full ring game limit player (3-6 and 5-10 with the occasional 15-30).