View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Default Parenting tip for vegans: please feed the baby vital macronutrients

Story about dead baby and its vegan parents

I don't have a problem with parents raising their children with their beliefs. People have done it as long as there have been parents and kids. eg: Christians told their babies that there was a dude in the sky who has a list of bad things you can do and good things you can do. And if parents want to tell their kids that it's immoral to eat animal flesh, they have that right (although they should also allow the child to make up its own mind when it's capable of rational thought, just like religious parents should allow their children to contemplate agnosticism).

But the second that your neglect of proper proteins and dairy products that a baby needs to sustain its metabolic functions as it grows leads to malnutrition and in this case death, you've gone from being a principled parent to being a negligent killer. This is a pretty disgusting story. I wish people had to take tests to get a parenting license before they got knocked up, kind of like driving.

OK, not really, but you know what I mean. People suck at raising kids sometimes.