View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Quickest path for me to become a trader

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are welcome to argue over the terms used, but that was not my point. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

There is a big difference between trading for Goldman and trading on your own!

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone just starting out is not going to have the capital or the risk tolerance to take advantage of being on their own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering that we are having this discussion in a 2+2 forum, I'm going to disagree with this statement!

It does not require a great deal of capital to get started as a trader (especially part time), though certainly a bit more than you would need to start playing poker... and successful poker players should certainly have a good understanding of risk!

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO, you are MUCH better off getting an entry level job on the trading floor at a place like Goldman than you are gathering 25-75k of your own money and trying to trade on your own. In addition to having a steady salary and benefits, at a reputable firm, you'll gain great experience and make contacts all over the financial community. You can always quit and do the day-trading-on-your-own plan anytime, whereas you are far less likely to be able to daytrade for a few years, fail, and then go get a job at a shop like goldman as an older person.

You're much better off getting a real Wall St. job than you are opening an account for 50k at E-trade and trying to live off your own trading that will, likely, leave you penniless.