View Single Post
Old 05-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Ask Degen Anything About Living In Thailand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm considering taking a 2-4 week vacation to Thailand sometime in Sept/Oct to check it out and see if I'd like to potentially move there sometime next year for a bit.

I'm searching through the thread, but what are some good web sites that rent furnished apartments in Bangkok by the week/month for reasonable rates? I am willing to pay for something nice though. Thinking a 1 bedroom in a modern building with modern furnishings and high-speed internet for $500-$1,000 per month.

[/ QUOTE ]
TheMetetron,
I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving to Bangkok in under two weeks and plan on finding an apartment when I get there. I'm willing to commit for 3 months max because I haven't decided if I want to stay in Thailand, continue on my travels, or travel for a few months and come back in the winter.

An option you might want to consider is staying in a decent hotel and working out a special rate for the two weeks or month you'll be here. As an example, the place we stayed in when we first came to Phuket was 500 baht/night but we were offered a rate of 4500 baht/month. This was a smaller place run by one guy and his family, so I don't think you would get a deal quite this good in bkk. You should get significant savings though, especially if you can get a Thai person to work out the deal for you.

Anything you find on the internet in English is going to be at an inflated price. That's not to say it will be a total ripoff, but you'll be paying more than you could. This is probably fine for what you're planning, but not ok if you wanted to stay long-term. $500-$1000 will get you a lot. Let me know if you find anything useful on the web.

[/ QUOTE ]

JESUS, i was looking at the net and everything was around 5k US a month AT THE MINIMUM. It was phenominal.

Is my best bet to find a thai speaking person to make the connection with a thai real estate agent or something?