Thread: effective odds?
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 PM

Default Re: effective odds?

[ QUOTE ]
I am assume that you are talking about implied odds.

When you are looking at immediate odds, you are looking at how much the pot is offering you to call a bet. Say there are 6sb in pot on the flop and it is 1sb bet for you to call, then you are receiving immediate odds of 6:1 to call.

If it is likely that someone (perhaps a preflop raiser, who is yet to act after you) will raise that flop, then you wont really be getting 6:1 to call, as you will have to call another bet to stay in the pot. So your effective odds for calling the 1st bet may have only been something like 7:2 or say 8:2 depending upon whether there are any other callers.

Hope that this helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

guys ... I'm a little lost ...

Effective Odds are covered briefly in TOP (just before the chapter on Implied Odds & Reverse Implied Odds)

and the concept is a little confusing ...

the concept is a matter of odds calculation when there are more cards to come:

<font color="green">"... you must think not in terms of the immediate pot odds but in terms of the total amount you might lose versus the total amount you might win." </font>

whereas Implied Odds are extra bets you may win if you hit your hand ...

the chapter uses a HU situation with hero having a four flush

the pot is small ... 2sb then villain bets ... so you are getting 3-1 on your call
your flush draw will come in 38% off the time (1-3/4 : 1 odds) ... but this is calculation is connected over the flop&amp;turn

so your "real pot odds" must include the turn bet ...

so you are not just calling the flop bet you call the turn bet ... 2sb+1sb+1bb for 1sb +1bb ... 5 : 3 (i.e ... your initial flop call was wrong)

now we can add 'implied odds' to the effective odds if villain will call on the river ... so add 1bb x% of time ... so with implied odds, are call is now +EV if villain calls enough