View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Tough Questions about Christianity

I'll give it a go, cause no other christian has bothered to answer.

1. What purpose would humanity serve for an omnipotent god? Is he so pathetic that he must create beings to follow his rules and worship him in order to satisfy himself? Must be lonely at the top.

No, he's building people who are willing to serve Him in heaven as well as satisfying himself. Even the crap I make gives me a sense of accomplishment.

2. Why must a powerful God necessarily be a good god? What evidence suggests such goodness? And don't say "we have life" because that life is not inherently good if it must be lived according to some list of rules to receive conditional benefits or eternal punishment.

If we are created by 'a' God, then it is fitting to worship Him. Simply the size and complexity of God would reason worship(placing worth on God).

3. Why do you teach silly concepts like "Son of God"? These silly anthromorphisms illustrate the absurdity of humans trying to make sense of the unknown using ignorant short-sighted perspective.

Son-of-God is used because people can relate to it. With God there is a Person of Jesus Christ. The father-son relationship describes their relationship...sorta... to humans.

4. If such a God existed and even somehow had a son, what sacrifice would it be for an eternal, all-powerful "Son of God" to endure a few hours of torture knowing that the Kingdom of God is his? This is hardly much of a sacrifice.

No one knows the true weight of sin, no one has carried what Jesus had to. But the Persons of the trinity are so close together(intimate) that seperation of this truly loved thing and suffering even though he should be worshipped is agony.
Probably the closest thing to it would be seeing your innocent wife crucified then feeling the feelings of guilt and shame and hatred of every person who ever lived. Is a hell of a sacrifice, no pun intended.

5. Why the correlation between the decline in God's direct observable miracles and the rise in human knowledge? If God was so "jealous" of a silly Tower of Babel, he sure seems silent on interplanetary travel, atomic weaponry, and other human accomplishments. Maybe this decline has something to do with a lot of events that would otherwise seem "miraculous" or divine 4000 years ago, no longer seem so with today's knowledge? Hmmmm.

Well, i've personally witnessed miracles. But that aside.. Jesus could not perform some miricales in some towns because the people had such little faith. Perhaps this is the reason, miracles happen around faith filled people.

6. If a god really did exist, would he be more likely to reward you or punish you for believing the Bible is true? It would seem that an omniscient God might not value ignorant faith as such a virtue.

If the bible recorded what God wanted to say to his people, then, if they rejected it God would naturally be unpleased.

7. Do dogs go to heaven? If not, then every argument about the meaningless of human life without a God goes right out the window!

No, dogs do not have an eternal spirit.
If not, then every argument about the meaningless of 'Dog' life without a God goes right out the window!

8. Do dogs sin? If not, then every argument about the absolute morality based on God's laws should also go out the window.

I really don't understand where you are coming from with these windows... but no dogs don't sin, they don't have the will that comes with an eternal spirit to choose what is right. Dog's are far less complex creatures tham humans.

9. Shouldn't those who procalim themselves as the "chosen people" be met with a considerable amount of skepticism as they clearly have a vested interest in spreading their beliefs?

Sure, I think any belief should be met with skepicism, not just accepted.

10. Lastly, how could people be so ignorant as to believe the silliness of western mythology (Judeo-Christian teachings) while at the same time scorn the silliness of other forms of mythology and mysticism?

Because of the person of Jesus Christ.