View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 12:34 PM

Default Re: Lucky You movie review (spoilers)

I didn't see Lucky You....and after reading this review I'm thankful I didn't. I stood in line with all the worlds donkeys and watched Spiderman 3 which was quite cool. And took a picture in the lobby with a infinitely cool lifesize couch featuring Marge, Homer, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Anyway, if you want to watch a good poker movie, of course Rounders. Cincinati Kid is also good as well though it requires some ability to temporarily suspend belief in reality.

Also very good, though not entirely poker accurate, is a television show that ran on FX a few years ago called "Lucky". It's real hard to find as there is no actual DVD release. I have found the entire season(there was only one) from a guy that transfered his VHS tapes to DVD. Predictably the quality is horrible, but the cost was negligable(like $11 or something). Anyway, the story line follows a poker pro main event world series poker winner(John Corbet) whose wife commits suicide right after he wins the main event. The show is real toungue in cheek and pretty funny in some parts and really sad in others. There are a lot of interesting/goofballish characters, some interesting story lines with the main character even attending GA meetings even though he clearly is not a degenerate addict, the main character making efforts at a regular day job to get away from gambling, and the main character falling in love with a woman who is a total degenerate gambler. Also of note is the backdrop used in the show, and the filming locations on Fremont St. downtown. It's a pretty amazing story and kinda seems like it is exactly what "Lucky You" was supposed to be.