View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 10:20 AM

Default Re: just received more money than i withdrew. What should i do?

When I make a mistake a company I do business with usually charges me with exorbitant fees and it's often a nightmare to fix.

When a company I do business with makes a mistake (that is bad for me) it's often a nightmare to fix and they rarely compensate me in any way.

The state of corporate customer service is an absolute joke. If you're blessed enough to receive something positive from their incompetence, deduct it from the countless times you've gotten screwed over by companies like this, and then see if it even comes close to reasonable compensation for their rampant dishonesty and anti-customer policies.

I disagree with people saying things like "Stealing is wrong. It's immoral to keep the money. The end." I think it's dangerous to have an ethics system that deems every action that triggers one of their morality keywords to be absolutely wrong, with no need for discussion or consideration of context. I could give all the extreme examples, and I think once someone accepts one of them as exceptions they need to accept that there are a lot of situations in life that don't have obvious pre-fab answers. I think that level of thinking is analogous to the guy who reads a poker book and then lols at Ivey for raising pf with 58s.

That said, one argument against keeping the money is that if someone heard of you doing it without proper context it would be evidence that are capable of doing less defensible things (probably not that relevant unless the slightest possibility of perceived impropriety would be damaging to your life/business/political aspirations/etc).