View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM

Default Re: What about the security deposit?

[ QUOTE ]
We have 1 months rents as security. To appease him and be reasonable, I have told him that I will give him his check back in full as long as everything's in order when leaves.

Since the locking-of-the-door incident, I have considered refusing to return his deposit, because he has not allowed me to rent out the apartment for the month of March (which is probably a lie...I'll find someone).

He will be demanding the check, however, when he leaves, and probably will not leave without check in hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no frickin way you should give him any money until his room is empty and clean. At that point, I doubt he'll want to hang around, regardless. Also, don't forget about any money he may owe you later for utilities (depending upon your prior arrangement).

Once his room is empty, it is up to you whether you wish to give him back his security deposit right then. However, I would plan to keep at least part of that money as damages for lost rent, unless you gave him somthing in writing which stated that he could leave early with no penalty.