View Single Post
Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Are You into Time?

[ QUOTE ]

From everything I've been reading, it's looking more and more like time might not actually exist. Clocks? They are simply devices that measure movement, not necessarily time. We construe movement as time, but that doesn't mean there is such a thing as time. There also seems to be no good reason for time to point towards the future. If it existed at all, it should just as easily point towards the past.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok. I'm just getting out of my drug-induced teenage years, and don't know much about physics, got any handy sources?

[ QUOTE ]

If there really is no such thing as time, then does this mean there is no such thing as eternity? Or how about infinity?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, it's hard to picture things without time. But if there's no time, and every event is simply a movement in a direction... then there is no eternity? Everything just is, I guess.
But that state of being would appear like an infinite-eternity to us observers...

Also: might entropy be important in these considerations? Could "the end of time" be interpreted as "the loss of all energy?"

[ QUOTE ]

Also, does this increase or decrease the likelihood of a God? You no longer have to account for "what created God", since without time, it becomes more reasonable to assume that God could've always existed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess the "who created God" arguement can be dealt with in this model even if we're still in the dark about why anything exists at all. That might sway individuals' personal assessments but does little in the way of providing proof. Still, if such a discovery were somehow to be made, I would be more inclined to believe in a God than I currently am.